Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Love of Johnny Cash and June Carter

When I think of True Love I think of this couple. I remember when Walk The Line came out in the movie theaters and I didn't want anything to do with it because I really didn't care for Johnny Cash. One day a friend of mine was over and he made me watch the movie and I became completely enamored with their love. I was like, damn that's LOVE. She loved him so much that even at his worst she remained there to help him. Probably wasn't too healthy for her and many therapists would of told her to run from him but I guess she saw something in him that she couldn't turn away from. She felt she could take on that fight and after all, she knew he loved her as ardently as she did him.

He was a Pisces and she was a Cancer and those two water signs made it work. He needed someone to love him unconditionally and even with two failed marriages under her belt she took that leap with him. They knew each other for 12 years before getting married and when she died in May 13, 2003 he went right after her in September 12, 2003 after 35 years of marriage. Soul Mates in every sense of the word. I understand their love and that's why this Valentines Day I think of them.

Some excerpts from a book/article about them.

"June remembers those days of thunder and lightening. She stood by Johnny's side--doing everything she could to break his voracious dependence on pills and save his soul. "She'd take my drugs and throw them away, and we'd have a big fight over it. I'd get some more, and she'd do it again," Cash recalls. "I'd make her promise not to, but she would do it anyway. She'd lie to me. She'd hide my money. She'd do anything. She fought me with everything she had."

She waged this war because she loved Cash too much to watch him die. Through the power of prayer and June's tough love, Johnny was able to break the power of addiction and find peace in his heart. It also become a spectacular love story and a 35-year marriage."


This is a love letter he wrote to her:

"Happy Birthday Princess,
We get old and get use to each other. We think alike.
We read each others minds. We know what the other wants without asking. Sometimes we irritate each other a little bit. Maybe sometimes take each other for granted.
But once in awhile, like today, I meditate on it and realize how lucky I am to share my life with the greatest woman I ever met. You still fascinate and inspire me.
You influence me for the better. You’re the object of my desire, the #1 Earthly reason for my existence. I love you very much.
Happy Birthday Princess.
John"


The pair married in 1968 and remained together for more than 30 years. June died in May 2003. Johnny Cash passed away just four months later


- See more at: http://viralwomen.com/post/the_greatest_love_letter_of_all_time_johnny_cashs_note_to_wife_june_carter_cash#sthash.mduZuh8V.dpuf

The fight was worth it.

#johnnycash #junecarter

-Michelle R Evaristo

No comments:

Post a Comment